Sunday, December 9, 2012

flying by.... YET again!


Unit 8 is upon us.... wow, the end really is in sight! That is AMAZING yet again how quickly these terms fly by. This week we are to choose two practices that we have determined to be most beneficial. How can we implement these practices in our personal lives to foster “mental fitness”? Provide specific examples.

The two practices that I found to be the most beneficial are meditation and the Subtle Mind. I have found that the guided meditation is so good for me. I desperately need someone to guide me and give me instruction during my meditation time. This helps me in my ability to focus and slow down. Meditation forces me to focus on one topic and use imagery and breathing techniques to bring about relaxation. I really appreciate both practices. The Subtle Mind is something that I am continuing to work on. The concept of bringing recognition to the distracting thoughts that filter through my mind during these exercises are challenging to acknowledge and let them fall away so I continue on with the exercise. I realize that this takes practice but giving acknowledgement to them seems like it throws me off even if it is for a short time before refocusing on my breathing as I listen to the ebb and flow of the tide in the background music.

I feel like through these experiences I have rediscovered a love for classical and instrumental music to bring about a calm and relaxing environment for me. I often love to have music playing while I am working, writing, or doing homework but I've been cruising through U-tube more lately in hopes of finding topical music like we have utilized during this course. 

Mental fitness is a journey I think. It's not something that will be achieved in a short amount of time. It's not a 5K but more like a long distance race. For me my legs and muscles are still pretty weak so this journey to "mental fitness" is coming along in starts and stops. For the duration I have to devote myself to training so I can make it the distance and actually experience all we are learning in pursuing our goal of integral health. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,
    You have made some very good points. I do believe meditation can be a very good source of relaxation for your mind and body. I also agree with you about the mental fitness journey, this takes time to train your mind in the order to get the integral health you might be looking for.
    It been a joy reading your blog and take care.
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ashley,

    I find myself preferring the same two practices as you. However, for me, I pray to my Heavenly Father during my time of meditation. I can't handle the visualization practices, because I find there to be too much activity going through my mind to relax. I also love the practice of focusing on breath. I am able to release everything from my mind and find complete calm and peace. I believe that practicing these activities can bring the body to its ultimate health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley,

    I totally agree and love listening to classical or soothing music while I'm working or doing homework. It's such a relaxing feeling I can't even describe, but I love it. That subtle mind is a tricky one! I have found throughout this class that my mind is ridiculously busy and it's definitely one of my biggest obstacles being able to calm it down and just witness my thoughts. Couldn't agree more about the time comment...this is a lifelong journey that takes commitment. I have every intention of continuing this path to integral health..I just hope I do! Goodluck on yours :)

    Jerrica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashley,

    I am right with you on the same practices. I chose the subtle mind and also any kind of meditation would help me. I agree with you that mental fitness is a journey. I would like to pursue that on my own here soon. Because of my son's father, I'm about to lose it! In a sense, I'm glad we're not married. But hopefully something will work out! I can't believe this term is almost over! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete