Sunday, October 28, 2012

it takes patience for this "relaxation" thing :)

First thing I am reminded of as I attempted to do this relaxation exercise was: I am SO not relaxed! I know I have problems relaxing. I know I am tense and stress has been an ongoing cycle in my life for some time now. But it was hard for me to even allow myself to do this exercise. The thought kept resounding through my mind was, "I can't do this. I can't relax." So this of course shows that my inability to relax and my negativity did not help one bit. It was hard to get away from that thought to participate in the exercise. I quit half way through! :(

I think for me the inability to accomplish the task or the mindset that I can't accomplish the task made the opposite occur in me. I'm more tense from trying. For me I guess I need that slow walk, or sitting outside listening to my wind chimes and being able to feel the breeze. This relaxes me more at this point in time.

I can tell that this will be a good "excuse" to continue learning how to relax in this course.
Okay classmates, what the heck did you think? :)

First attempt: Can you relax to this?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    You are so right about relaxing. It can be one of the most difficult thing anyone can do. But if you can find a way to relax it will always help you. I know listening to the exercise at first I had a hard time following it but as it went on I found myself relaxing which I enjoyed. So what ever allows you to relax continue doing it because it will be healthy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley, I have to agree with you. It is very difficult to relax and focus. For me, it's a lost cause in the morning. I am one that wakes up and immediately starts running through my day, planning and listing and thinking about how full every day seems to be. I finally figured out that if I go through my day and find a time that I can just slip away from the world for 10-15 minutes I am a power pack when I return from that. I loved listening to this guys voice and following his direction. I did try it first thing Saturday morning. BIG mistake but then last night when we got home from church and things were relaxed I jumped on and listened again. I finished and had a little bit of a second wind to finish off the the duties before bed and I actually slept better than normal. I think I might try this in the evening before bed and kind of see what the effect is on my daytime stress levels?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks yall for sharing your thoughts. I do need to find what fits me and go with it. But I prob should give this another go as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, Wow sound like you have had to deal with a lot of stress in your life for the last year. I think first and foremost you need to know that it's okay if the relaxation CD didn't work for you. We are all wired differently and if it doesn't then do what does. It is a trial and error process. What works for me might not work for you. I also believe that when you make YOU a priority and don't blame yourself for the actions of your x-husband it will be easier for you to find peace. His actions are his choices! I am a firm believer in karma. You have a great support system and are using positive outlets to move on and that is fantastic. Lastly, when you maintain a healthy lifestyle, mind, body, and soul the pounds will come off and stay off as long as you continue to live a healthy lifestyle. Kudos to you for being so honest.. you will be just fine and you will find happiness:)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete